Prepare yourself for leadership roles, responsibilities, and management in the field of occupational health and safety (OHS). Learn from industry experts to enhance your OHS knowledge and learn to lead from a management perspective. The courses in this program focus on project management, leadership, ethics, and ability management for OHS leaders.
You can choose to complete this certificate program on campus, through online courses, or through a combination of both modes.
By completing this program after the Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety and the Certificate in Advanced Safety Management, you will be academically prepared to successfully complete the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP) exam to become a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP).
This is one of the few certificate programs in Ontario that meets CRSP educational requirements.
This certificate is eligible for OSAP.
What Will You Learn?
After completing this certificate, you will be able to:
- Lead best practice in OHS planning and management
- Address integrated disability management
- Navigate Government legislation and regulations
- Implement fundamentals of project management
- Apply OHS business perspectives
- Understand ethical leadership
- Interpret OHS return on investment, cost, and savings
Industry and Careers
Possible Job Titles
- Compliance Officer
- Disability Management Professional
- OHS Director
- OHS Manager
- OHS Officer
- Risk Manager
- Vice President, Health and Safety
According to the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP), becoming a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) can help you:
- increase your earning potential
- enhance your employability and mobility
- enhance your professional credibility
Who Should Take This Certificate?
This program is for individuals who have completed the Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety and/or the Certificate in Advanced Safety Management and want to take their OHS career to the next level.
If your goal is to work as a leader in the OHS field, or if you’re already working in a leadership position and want to formalize your education and build on your skills, this certificate is for you.
Who Teaches the Courses?
Learn from occupational health and safety professionals who draw on:
- Real-world knowledge and experience in municipal and provincial government.
- Backgrounds in agriculture, health services, engineering, and petrochemicals.
- Expertise as independent health, safety, and disability consultants.
- In-depth research and academic achievements in the field.
Professional Designations and Accreditation
By completing this program after the Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety and the Certificate in Advanced Safety Management, you will meet the educational requirements to write the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP) designation exam.
- 4 required courses
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
Awards and Financial Aid
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do graduates of the Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety Leadership find jobs?
OHS professionals are in high demand across many industries. You might land a job in a hospital, a steel mill, a university, an airport, local government, or any other workplace that values workers’ health and safety.
Are courses in the Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety Leadership offered online?
Yes. All courses in the Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety Leadership are offered online.
Can I get Transfer Credits for courses I’ve taken at other institutions?
You can apply for a Transfer Credit if you have taken the same course at another post-secondary institution.
Note: there’s no guarantee your application for Transfer Credits will be accepted.
Questions? Contact Craig Fairclough, Academic Coordinator.