Sidebar Menu

Online Learning During COVID-19

Frequently Asked Questions

What kinds of online courses does The Chang School offer?

The Chang School offers two categories of online courses: synchronous and asynchronous. For a description of each category, please review the next question.

Visit Online Learning for more information about our online courses.

What is the difference between synchronous and asynchronous online courses?

Synchronous online courses involve chat and video conference learning in real-time. It’s like a virtualized classroom course that allows students and instructors to interact instantly. If you choose to enrol in a synchronous online course, you will see the day(s) and time(s) posted on the website when you are required to be online.

Asynchronous online courses involve coursework delivered via web, email, and message boards. Learning can be carried out while the student is offline and at their own pace. If you choose to enrol in an asynchronous online course, you will only see the start and end dates of the course posted on the website and it will be up to you when you choose to be online.

Visit Online Learning for more information about our online courses.

When will I be able to see my online course shell and instructor contact information in D2L Brightspace?

You can access D2L Brightspace by logging in at and clicking the Online Courses and Organizations tab. You will see your course link in D2L Brightspace as of the official course start date.

If you need assistance with your online course, please contact us at

Do you have any financial aid for those who are struggling financially during the COVID-19 pandemic?

If you require financial assistance, you may apply for The Chang School's merit-based awards and/or need-based financial aid. Students officially registered in a Chang School certificate program may also be eligible for funding through the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).

For a complete list of certificate programs approved by OSAP, visit the Student Financial Assistance website. The Chang School does not administer the OSAP financial assistance.

For details on applying for OSAP, please email Ryerson’s Student Financial Assistance Office at

Will my midterm or final exam be online this semester?

Refer to your course outline for information regarding your course’s final assessment.

For the Fall 2020 term, all exams will be held online.

Where can I find the Mail-in Enrolment Form?

Visit Forms and Documents to download the Mail-in Enrolment Form.

How will I graduate and receive my completed certificate?

The next Convocation is scheduled for Spring 2021, with ceremonies taking place in June 2021. 

To apply to graduate for Spring 2021 with no fee, you may do so between November 1, 2020 until March 1, 2021 on RAMSS ( The deadline to apply with a late application fee on RAMSS is April 15, 2021. The final date to cancel and Application to Graduate is May 14, 2021.

See How to Apply to Graduate for step-by-step instructions and screenshots. 

For information and answers to frequently asked questions about when your certificate will be released, please visit Convocation Ceremonies and Ryerson COVID-19 Information and Updates - Graduation and Convocation.

If you have any questions or require further information, please email

When will lab courses be offered?

In the best interests of our students and staff during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, The Chang School has decided to cancel all in-class courses. Classroom courses will not take place as scheduled. Alternatively, many classroom courses have been converted to online delivery to ensure that students have the opportunity to complete the Fall 2020 academic term.

Please refer to Important Dates for enrolment and transfer dates.

We recommend students continue checking our course webpages regularly to see if additional sections become available.

You may also wish to use our Course Search to see if there are alternative courses you may be interested in. 

How can I receive help with my two-factor authentication?

If you are having technical issues with the username and password or Google Authenticator code generation app (two-factor authentication), please contact Computing and Communications Services (CCS) at

CCS also provides assistance with Setting Up Two-Factor Authentication.

Where do I submit health and medical certificates for missed assignments, midterms, and/or exams?

The Ryerson University Senate website has information about the Missed Tests/Examinations (Course Management Policy).

Submissions are made via the Online Academic Consideration Request System. Submit your documentation online as soon as reasonably possible, either before or within three working days of the missed academic obligation.