Not ready to enrol but want to learn more?
Fill out this form and a representative from The Chang School will contact you.Express interest
If you want to enter the dynamic field of architecture, or if you already work in architecture and want to improve your skills and credentials, you may be interested in the Certificate in Architecture.
Develop skills in architectural drawing and drafting, design, space planning, and human-interface and environmental systems. Learn more about building construction methods and materials, codes and regulations, and the interconnected systems that make up buildings. Build on your practical architecture competencies through studio and workshop courses. Explore related topics through electives in entrepreneurship and strategy, sustainability, project management, and more.
Note to students registered in this certificate program: Effective Fall 2020, the Certificate in Architecture has been revised. Students who were formally registered in the certificate prior to July 2, 2020, must complete the curriculum requirements that were in effect at the time of their registration. For curriculum details, please refer to the archived calendar for your year of registration.
What Will You Learn?
The required courses will provide an introduction to architectural knowledge and skills, including:
- architectural drawing and drafting
- architectural representation
- perspective, isometric, and orthographic drafting
- technical drafting
- methods and materials of building construction
- construction systems and components
- codes and regulations governing planning, design, and construction in Canada
- municipal planning by-laws
- Ontario/National Building Codes, standards, and other regulatory documents
- the application process in obtaining permits and approvals for development
- architectural design and space planning
- spatial and functional planning
- human-interface and environmental systems
- architectural representation and presentation
You can then choose two electives that meet your professional goals.
Who Should Take This Certificate?
If you want to enter the field of architecture, or if you already work in architecture and want to improve your skills and credentials, you may be interested in the Certificate in Architecture.
Note: To become an architect, you must obtain an accredited degree from a program that is approved by the Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB). Completing this certificate will not allow you to represent yourself as an architect.
Who Teaches the Courses?
Many of our instructors are leading architects and faculty members in the Department of Architectural Science at Ryerson University. They bring real-world expertise to the courses they teach.
Industry and Careers
The high demand for architectural technicians is tied to Canada’s construction industry, which contributes close to 7 percent of Canada’s GDP.
Our students work in a variety of fields. This certificate can help you build skills that may help you move into job roles related to:
- drawing and drafting
- building materials and methods
- municipal planning, codes, and standards
If you already have post-secondary experience in a relevant field, this certificate can give you a robust introduction to technical architectural knowledge.
- 4 required courses
- 2 electives
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
Recommended Course Sequence
We recommend that the required courses be taken in the following order:
- CKAR 300 - Architectural Drawing
- CKAR 310 - Materials and Methods
- CKAR 205 - Building Codes and Regulations
- CKAR 103 - Architectural Studio - Fundamental
- A post-secondary undergraduate education (university or college) in a relevant field of study (including programs related to architecture and/or environmental sciences)
Awards and Financial Aid
Frequently Asked Questions
When are courses offered?
Courses in the Certificate in Architecture are offered year-round, in the Fall, Winter, and Spring/Summer terms. However, not all courses are offered every term. Check course descriptions for details.
Can I enrol directly into the Certificate in Architecture?
Yes. The Certificate in Architecture is open admissions. No previous background is required. Visit How to Register for a Certificate Program for details.
To be admitted to the Certificate in Advanced Architecture, you must have successfully completed the Certificate in Architecture or have equivalent academic qualifications and work experience.
Email us at email@example.com if you have further questions about what this entails.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.