Not ready to enrol but want to learn more?
Fill out this form and a representative from The Chang School will contact you.Express interest
Please note that this Certificate was known as Computer Programming Applications prior to Winter 2022.
Master the principles of client/server architecture and networking. Learn to code in the tech sector’s most commonly used programming languages.
Specialize in one of six application areas:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Computational Methods
- Database Technology
- Project Management
- Software Engineering
This is an Open Admissions program, which means you can enrol in courses right away.
Advance or change your career by developing the hands-on knowledge and skills to provide innovation through computer coding.
Note to students registered in this certificate program: Effective Fall 2020, the Certificate in Computer Coding has been revised. Students who were formally registered in the certificate prior to July 2, 2020, must complete the curriculum requirements that were in effect at the time of their registration. For curriculum details, please refer to the archived calendar for your year of registration
What Will You Learn?
Computer coding provides a set of skills that can be applied to many industry sectors.
Learn how to:
- program for products and services
- perform statistical and data analysis
- explore file management techniques involving the fundamentals of database organization, design, and management
- use computer applications to design outdoor spaces
- analyze networks, operating systems, and data communications
- utilize object-oriented programming languages
- design human-computer interaction systems
- plan and manage computer coding projects using project management tools
- GIS software
- Object-Oriented Programming (OOP)
- Artificial Intelligence Frameworks
- MS Project
- 3ds Max
The Certificate in Computer Coding is an excellent complement to the problem- solving and solution-building skills you already possess.
Who Should Take This Certificate?
This certificate is designed for individuals who wish to work as application programmers in software engineering, database technology, and related user-support positions.
You may be interested if you are or wish to become a:
- Computer Programmer
- Software Developer
- Specialist in Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Network Systems Manager
- Software Engineer
- Database Manager
Who Teaches the Courses?
Our instructors are selected through a highly competitive process and are expert practitioners in field.
Industry and Careers
Computer programmers with highly developed skills are required by:
- technology companies
- professional and scientific institutions
- consulting firms
- financial and insurance institutions
- healthcare industries
- energy corporations
- telecommunications companies
- 4 required courses
- 2 electives
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
Recommended Course Sequence
We recommend you take courses in the following order:
- CCSP 109 - Computer Science I
- 1 Elective
- CCPS 209 - Computer Science II
- 1 Elective
Suggested Elective Groupings (a total of 2 selections from 1 or more of the following groupings)
You may may choose to focus on a specific area to achieve your individual goals. The electives may be grouped as follows:
Artificial Intelligence: CCPS 420, CCPS 721
Computational Methods: CCPS 270. CIND 123
Database Technology: CCPS 270, CCPS 510, CCPS 610
Networking: CCPS 590, CCPS 706
Software Engineering: CCPS 311, CCPS 613, CSCI 130
Project Management: CTEC 210
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- With six Grade 12 U or M credits
- Mature student status with permission of the academic coordinator
Awards and Financial Aid
Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
This certificate program is OSAP eligible. To learn more, visit the Student Financial Assistance website.
Frequently Asked Questions
When are the courses offered?
Courses are offered year-round, in the Fall, Winter, and Spring/Summer terms. The certificate requires you to complete six courses in total.
Can I choose my electives from more than one stream?
Yes. Choose two electives that meet your goals from any of the eight elective streams.
Does the certificate have an Artificial Intelligence (AI) elective stream?
Yes. You can choose to take two electives in the Artificial Intelligence (AI) stream.
Can I use this certificate to ladder to the Ryerson University's Part-time degree in Computer Science?
Yes. However, you must still follow normal application procedures for the degree program. For more information, please visit the Computer Science program page.
Questions? Contact Dr. Alex Ferworn, Academic Coordinator.
Phone: 416-979-5000, ext. 6968