Want to find out more about the Certificate in Graphic Communications? Express interest to connect with this program and receive updates.
Join one of Canada’s most dynamic and exciting industries. Printing is an $11 billion industry in Canada, and graphic communications professionals are rewarded with challenging opportunities nationwide.
Turn bright ideas into creative concepts that inform, engage, and inspire. Explore the impact of signs, display graphics, direct marketing materials, books, magazines, and consumer packaging. Prepare layouts, files, proofs, and finished jobs in the printing industry. Learn how to use advanced hardware, software, and technology, and integrate printed communication with online mediums.
You can enrol directly into entry-level courses and most have no prerequisites. No interview or portfolio is required.
This program offers the following benefits:
- Enrol right away – open admissions with no application required
- Take Ryerson degree-credit courses
- Ladder to a Ryerson degree program – earn advanced standing through eligible degree-credit courses
- Get real industry experience through internship, practicum, or project-based opportunities
- Get assistance to help pay for this program through OSAP
- Apply for merit-based awards
What Will You Learn?
- principles of design
- image capture, manipulation, and retouching
- copy preparation
- printing processes
- health and safety
- accessibility considerations
- web design and production
- typography and layout
- basic press functions, printing presses, and press simulators
- basic production workflows, correction loops
- direct marketing, personalization, and campaign cycles
- how to communicate with designers
Who Should Take This Certificate?
The Certificate in Graphic Communications is for anyone who wants to deepen their knowledge in one of Canada’s most dynamic and exciting industries.
You may be interested if you are considering a career change into the graphic communications industry.
The program can also improve your chances of admission to Ryerson's Bachelor of Technology in Graphic Communications Management degree.
To be considered for direct entry into the degree program, you must:
- Complete the Certificate in Graphic Communications, including the elective courses CGCM 111 and CGCM 121
- Complete one single-term Liberal Studies course from Table A (see the Ryerson Undergraduate Program Calendar for more information)
- Complete CMKT 100, CGMS 200, and CCMN 279
Note: You will be required to follow normal admission procedures, including completing an interview and meeting normal program admission criteria.
Who Teaches the Courses?
Learn from professionals with real-world experience. Our instructors are a mix of industry professionals and faculty from Ryerson’s School of Graphic Communications Management.
Industry and Careers
The printing industry is:
- Canada’s fourth largest manufacturing employer
- An $11 billion industry with over 60,000 employees
- Comprised of more than 4,000 different organizations in Canada
Salaries in the printing industry are higher than any other industry in the Canadian manufacturing sector.
The opportunities are diverse, in both region and role, and appeal to a wide range of interests. There are design and creative opportunities, technical and computer skills-oriented jobs, as well as business and managerial roles.
- 3 required courses
- 3 electives
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- With 6 Grade 12 U or M credits
- With a minimum grade of 60 percent
- Mature student status with relevant professional experience
Awards and Financial Aid
Questions? Contact Jason Lisi, Academic Coordinator.
Phone: 416-979-5000, ext. 6750