Job Postings for Instructors
This page describes the process of applying for teaching positions available within The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education only.
- The Chang School recruits CECLs three (3) times per year to teach continuing education courses in the Fall, Winter, and Spring/Summer terms.
- Courses that are available for competition are posted for ten (10) calendar days on June 12 and November 1, respectively.
- For the Spring/Summer term, the positions are posted for seven (7) calendar days.
- Spring/Summer 2020: Sunday, March 1 to Sunday, March 8, 2020
- Fall 2020: Friday, June 12 to Sunday, June 21, 2020
- Winter 2021: Sunday, November 1 to Tuesday, November 10, 2020
- For the Spring/Summer term, the positions are posted for seven (7) calendar days.
- Chang School courses are delivered in various modes, including classroom, online, and hybrid. During the recruiting period, posted job openings are found and applied for on Ryerson University’s Careers website.
Qualifications, including specific qualifications for courses taught online, are unique to each course and are listed online in each job opening.
It is each applicant’s responsibility to ensure that they review the qualifications listed in the job opening and submit a teaching dossier that contains all required documentation and evidence of qualifications specifically requested in the job posting.
Interviews may be held at the discretion of The Chang School. On offer of a teaching contract, successful applicants for whom The Chang School has no transcripts on file will be required to furnish The Chang School with official, original academic transcripts issued by their advanced degree-granting institutions.
Successful candidates for the Spring/Summer 2020 term will be notified by email by Thursday, April 9, 2020. Generally, Spring courses start the week of May 4, 2020. Summer courses start the week of June 22, 2020. Please refer to your offer for more information on course start and end dates/times.
How to Apply for Teaching Positions in The Chang School
Applications for teaching positions in The Chang School are submitted online through the Ryerson University Careers website. Applicants apply for individual course sections. Information and evidence supporting applicant qualifications must be provided in your teaching dossier/resumé.
Each job opening includes the specific qualifications and experience required of applicants.
This application process is open to applicants who qualify for membership in CUPE Local 3904, Unit 2; that is:
- Applicants from the general public who are qualified to teach and who are not members of the excluded groups listed below
- Members of CUPE Local 3904, Unit 1 (day sessional instructors) seeking work in addition to their current day load
Excluded groups include:
- Members of Ryerson Faculty Association (RFA)
- CUPE Local 3904, Unit 1 members who are assigned continuing education teaching in fulfillment of their day load
- Academic and administrative Ryerson University staff at the Chang School academic coordinator level and higher
- If you are currently (or have been recently) employed at Ryerson, log in to my.ryerson.ca, select the eHR tab, and from the Self Service page, find the Careers tile. Make sure that your browser allows popups from my.ryerson.ca.
- If you are not currently employed at Ryerson or cannot access my.ryerson.ca, go to Ryerson’s Careers website, select the option “I have not worked at Ryerson University in the past two years”, and click the “View Jobs” button.
- Create or update your user profile. If you are a new applicant, please make sure that you can recall your username and password for future actions.
- In View All Jobs, search for and select the job opening in which you are interested. Please confirm that you are available to teach on the dates and times of the course section for which you are applying.
- Upload your latest teaching dossier, where “resumé” is requested during the application process. Note: If you choose to use an existing dossier from a previous application, you can select “Use an existing resumé” option.
- Complete and submit your application. A confirmation email will be sent to you. If you do not receive the email, please go back to your profile to make sure you submitted the application and did not leave it in draft status.
- Sign in to your ‘Careers’ page to check the status of your application at any time.
Questions? Email email@example.com and we will respond during regular Chang School business hours.
The following is an adapted excerpt from the Collective Agreement between Ryerson University and the union representing Chang School continuing education contract lecturers (CECLs), CUPE Local 3904, Unit 2. It describes the responsibilities incumbent upon all those making applications through the CECL job postings process.
A. Applications for each position vacancy must be submitted through the online application system, eHire. All applicants shall be expected to apply by submitting an online application for each course section for which the applicant is applying and must include a teaching dossier/resumé.
All applications indicating the course sections applied for must be submitted prior to the closing date and time specified on the job opening in eHire.
This procedure shall be followed for each term and in respect of each course section for which the applicant is applying.
Applications received by The Chang School after the deadline date and time shall not be considered.
B. Applicants applying for posted teaching position vacancies are responsible for providing the Selection Committee with all relevant information concerning their candidacy.
C. Upon confirmation of an offer of appointment and as a condition of employment, the prospective employee will be required to validate their academic qualifications through the provision of original transcripts.
D. In such circumstances, the Program Director shall inform, in writing, The Chang School CECL of this requirement, indicating the period of time within which the official transcripts must be received by the University.
To apply for a teaching position, you must submit your application in the relevant job opening and upload an appropriate teaching dossier, where “resumé” is indicated in eHire.
Ryerson University has an employment equity program and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and women.
Your Teaching Dossier
In eHR Careers, Ryerson’s online Chang School teaching application system, teaching dossiers will be referenced to assess your qualifications to teach a course.
These dossiers (“resumés” in eHR) should provide a description and record of an applicant’s professional and teaching accomplishments and strengths. Be sure to review the online job opening for the required qualifications related to the course section(s) for which you are applying.
The Selection Committee will consider candidates on the basis of their qualifications as follows:
- Educational accomplishments
- Teaching experience and skills
- Professional experience and currency
- Effective interaction with adult students and colleagues in an inclusive manner
If you are applying in more than one subject area, you may choose to customize your dossier for each area.
Note: Due to file size limitations in the eHR Careers system (5MB maximum), you must assemble your teaching dossier into a single file before you upload it. (Note: Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word are the only accepted document formats.) We have created a brief tutorial that explains how to consolidate multiple documents into a single dossier. For clarity, please be sure to include your last name and term in the file name of your dossier (for example, smith-f2019 or smith-ceng-f2019).
What documents should be included in your Chang School teaching dossier?
Your dossier should include information and evidence that supports your qualifications. For the convenience of the Selection Committee, please submit documents in the following sequence:
- Your resumé, including:
- Academic credentials (degrees held and degree-granting institutions) and professional designations
- Professional experience in the subject area, including number of years in the field, positions held, level of responsibilities, etc.
- Summary of teaching experience
- Evidence of your currency in the field (publications and presentations, conferences, awards and recognition, current membership and involvement in relevant professional associations)
- Your teaching philosophy statement, a one- to two-page reflective statement that describes your personal approach to, and practice of, effective teaching, learning, and engagement of students. Be sure to you differentiate between distance/online teaching and classroom teaching, where appropriate.
- A list of all courses (separate from your resumé) taught within the past six (6) years, with complete course responsibility, relevant to the course(s) you are applying to teach. It must include:
- Course codes, course titles, and dates/terms of delivery
- Course delivery mode(s) (classroom, online, hybrid)
- Name(s) of the post-secondary institution(s)
- Reference and contact information
- Evidence of your teaching skills and effective interaction with students and colleagues in a diverse and inclusive environment. This may include:
- Formal student survey results and teaching evaluations (Faculty/Course Survey) from at least the past three (3) years
- Student testimonials
- Teaching awards
- Peer evaluations and/or assessments of your teaching
- Letters of recommendation related to your teaching
- Participation in learning and teaching conferences, workshops, or seminars
- Any other documentation that might support your application.
Please review the resources in the Professional Development section of Ryerson University’s Teaching Development website for guidance.