Course DescriptionThis course is an introduction to learning big data tools such as Hadoop and advanced SQL techniques. Students will gain a clear understanding of Hadoop concepts and technologies landscape and market trends. They will construct SQL queries of moderate to high complexity to retrieve data from a relational database. Note: Tools taught Hive, Pig, Oozie, LAMBDA, Gigraph and GraphLab.
What Will You Learn?
Develop a comprehensive understanding of big data and its industrial and sectoral applications.
Learn how to:
- Engage in big data and AI computing (cloud computing) and their industrial applications.
- Utilize Hadoop ecosystem for big data.
- Employ Linux file systems, bach commands, and regular expressions.
- Write complex queries on big data using Apache Hive to query data stored in various databases and file systems that integrate with Hadoop.
- Write scripts and analyze data using Apache Spark to efficiently execute streaming and machine learning on big data.
- Leverage network analyses and their use cases.
Classroom sessions for this course are held in a computer lab and attendance is required to be successful in the course.
Open lab hours are also available outside of class time to complete the mandatory labs and assignments.
Course materials, video lectures and discussions are delivered and facilitated online within the D2L Learning Management System.
Throughout the semester, student questions related to course content may be answered either by the instructor on discussion board or by an online tutor via email. For more information, please email Anne-Marie Brinsmead, Program Director, at email@example.com
RequisitesDepartment Consent Required
- Data Analytics, Big Data, and Predictive Analytics : Required Courses