Professionals in a wide range of disciplines are likely to encounter situations which are fraught with conflict, whether the issue is dealing with community opposition to the development of a new facility, developing environmental standards, allocating limited resources to meet emerging societal needs or dealing with the conflicting demands and expectations of different stakeholders. This course is designed to enable students to develop consensus-building strategies that produce agreements that everyone can live with. The course utilizes case materials and examples drawn from different disciplines. (Formerly IST 905.)
"I took an intensive course online and found it to be very inclusive and accessible. The pace of the course was challenging at times, but it got easier as I continued to feel curious and ask questions. The discussion posts with other students helped a lot and the best part was learning from each other. I never want to stop learning."
Conflict Resolution in Community Services (CINT 905)
Sample Course Outline
This course is part of the Interdisciplinary Conflict Resolution and Team Building Course Series.
This course is fully online and asynchronous, meaning you typically will not have to be online at specific times. You will engage in course-related activities through online tools such as announcements, discussions, and email. Your course learning will be based on weekly module content and activities that you can go through independently. Note: there are still deadlines for assignment submissions, and you may be expected to participate in discussion board interactions with your peers on a regular basis.
Your instructor may also include occasional scheduled sessions for Q&As and other discussion activities, using web conferencing tools such as Zoom and Google Meet. More details will be included in your course outline available on the first day of class.
Note for Intensive sections only: intensive section(s) of this course, scheduled for delivery over a 5 day period, will require students to be online at various times throughout each day, and may include additional asynchronous components, recorded material, group work. etc. More details will be included in your course outline available on the first day of class.
RequisitesAntirequisites: CINP 914 and SWP 924
- Advanced Nursing Leadership and Management : Electives – Group B: Leadership (select 1 or 2)
- Advanced Safety Management : Electives (select 2)
- Community Engagement, Leadership, and Development : Electives (select 2)
- Ethics : Electives – Group B (select 3 not previously taken in Electives – Group A)
- Family Supports and Community Engagement : Electives (select 1)
- Immigration and Settlement Studies : Electives (select 1)
- Interdisciplinary Conflict Resolution and Team Building : Required Courses
- Introduction to Community Services : General Elective
- Nursing and Interprofessional Healthcare Leadership and Management : Electives (select 2)
- Project Management : Project Management Stream (select 3), Electives: 39-Hour Courses (select 1)