Not ready to enrol but want to learn more?
Fill out this form and a representative from The Chang School will contact you.Express interest
Become a leader to enhance sustainability best practices at your organization. Respond to new opportunities in sustainable development. Maximize your impact by deploying and executing sustainability principles and using Lean Six Sigma continuous improvement tools and techniques.
Learn how to:
- promote sustainability and sustainable development
- prioritize, deploy, and implement best practices with proven techniques
- execute vital strategic plans with SMART goals
- address the complex global sustainability related challenges
- gain long-term value for your corporation by incorporating ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) criteria into your investment decision
- engage stakeholders and build trust through open, transparent, and reliable outreach, communications, and engagement
- become a corporate social responsibility (CSR) advocate and sustainability professional
Generate personal, organizational, and social transformation that results in:
- reduced waste and carbon footprint
- innovation-driven business models, capturing value across business units and products
- engaged communities
- sustainable investment
- competitive advantage in global markets (increase sales and top line growth)
- improved transactional capabilities and reduced costs through more efficient process (reduce cost and bottom line growth)
Approach decision-making, planning, and action by integrating the economic, social, and environmental components that comprise the triple bottom line (TBL or 3BL) of sustainability.
Note: Effective Fall 2020, the Certificate in Sustainability Management and Enterprise Process Excellence has been revised. Students who were formally registered in the certificate prior to July 2, 2020, must complete the curriculum requirements that were in effect at the time of their registration. For curriculum details, please refer to the archived calendar for your year of registration.
What Will You Learn?
- high-demand competencies in Lean Six Sigma
- Lean Six Sigma quality processes, tools, and techniques to reduce cost, mitigate risks, and add value to your company
- how to optimize efficiencies using the process power of Lean Six Sigma
- how to use DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control) and DMADV (Define, Measure, Analyze, Design, Verify) methodologies while enhancing the people power of Lean Six Sigma through the implementation of Organizational Change Management (OCM) principles
- how to address global sustainability management challenges
- focused, data-driven problem-solving and decision making (tactical and strategic)
- how to develop policies, processes, and change management strategies
- how to communicate and use integrated sustainability reporting as well as the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) framework
- how to drive improvements and lasting change in supply chain management processes and practices
- how to adopt and integrate CSR risk factors into decisions and processes
- how to incorporate social and environmental issues into your company’s strategy and operations
- Triple Bottom Line (TBL or 3BL)/People-Planet-Profits (PPP) issues
- sustainability soft and hard skills education
- integrating better industry practices and products
- driving wealth creation
- improving well-being for current and future global generations
Leverage Lean Six Sigma continuous improvement methodology to:
- achieve sustainability goals and objectives
- improve customer satisfaction
- enhance product robustness
- improve processes and eliminate waste
- make products cheaper, faster, and more efficiently
- gain competitive advantage in global markets
Who Should Take This Certificate?
Everyone interested in sustainability, including employees in all sectors (private, public, and nonprofit) who wish to integrate sustainability and sustainable development considerations into their decision-making, planning, and actions. The demand for employees familiar with sustainability concepts and practices continues to grow tremendously, in Canada and around the world.
Organizations need professionals who possess systems-thinking abilities and skills related to:
- Sustainability business
- Reporting and Global Reporting Initiative (GRI)
- Complying with global standards
- Strategic thinking
Help deliver measurable business results and optimize growth initiatives related to a wide range of social, environmental, economic, and cultural issues.
Who Teaches the Courses?
Our instructors are all highly educated. Many hold PhDs and are successful industry experts and practitioners with proven track records and years of experience in sustainability and related fields.
Industry and Careers
Join the dynamic and fast-growing sustainability management and sustainable development sectors.
Familiarity with sustainability management is relevant to employment in many sectors, including:
- Management (executive, senior, middle, and junior managers involved in operational planning, strategy, and implementation)
- Public policy (social, economic, or environmental fields)
- Urban and municipal planning
- Energy, energy management, and conservation
- Land development and design
- Government agencies (all levels, including both elected and unelected officials)
- Education (educators and/or persons involved in curriculum development and design)
- Manufacturing and production
- Agriculture (urban and rural)
- R&D (research organizations)
- Business management consulting (in any of the social, economic, or environmental fields)
- NGOs (voluntary, third, or civil society sectors)
- Corporate social responsibility and sustainability
- Conservation and environmental protection
- Banks and investment firms
- Financial institutions
- Medical institutions and hospitals
- Parks and recreation
- Natural resources
- Canadian Standards Association
- International Standards Organization (ISO)
- Green Building concept
- Design, construction, and maintenance of environmentally sustainable buildings and infrastructure (LEED).
- Environmental sciences (global warming and climate change)
- Program, portfolio, and project Management
- Leadership skills
- Organization change management (OCM)
- Continuous improvement and process optimization
- Integrated performance reporting
- Carbon reporting and greenhouse gases (GHG)
- Corporate social responsibility (CSR)
- Hospitality and tourism
- Food policy and security
- Renewable energy and green technology
- Waste management
- Applied ecology and earth science
- Water management
- 4 required course
- 2 electives
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
Recommended Course Sequence
Suggested Elective Groupings (a total of 2 selections from 1 or more of the following groupings)
You may may choose to focus on a specific area to achieve your individual goals. The electives may be grouped as follows:
General: CHTT 510, CKSS 102, CKSS 212, CTEC 210
Architecture and Landscape: CKAR 500, CKAR 601, CKLA 400, CKLA 450
Socioeconomics of Sustainability Forces and Progress: CECN 502, CECN 510, CFNY 404, CFNY 407, CKSS 201, CTEC 241, CTEC 264, CTEC 269, CTEC 282, CVFN 410, CVFN 411, CVFN 412, CVFN 413, CZMN 200
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant field with a GPA of 2.0, or equivalent
- A post-secondary diploma with a GPA of 2.0, or equivalent, AND 3 years of full-time relevant employment, subject to the approval of the academic coordinator
- Mature student status with 4 years of full-time relevant employment, subject to the approval of the academic coordinator
Up to 3 transfer credits may be granted for previous studies similar to the courses listed in the elective streams. If an appropriate equivalency is established, a specific credit will be granted; however, a generic transfer credit (CKSS GEN) will be considered if a direct course equivalency cannot be established, but the course falls within one of the four elective streams of the certificate.
The primary requirements for a course to be considered for the CKSS GEN credit is as follows:
It must connect to and/or fall within one of the General, Architecture and Landscape Design, Environmental Management, or Socioeconomics of Sustainability Forces and Progress elective streams
It must cover, in varying degrees, all of the social, economic, and environmental dimensions of sustainability/sustainable development
“I am certain that the knowledge and connections I have made while completing my certificate will make my transition into the Sustainability field that much more seamless.”
Bianca Di Donato
Certificate in Sustainability Management and Enterprise Process Excellence
Fast Track Option
Through the Sustainability Management Fast Track, you can complete the four required courses plus two electives to earn the Certificate in Sustainability Management and Enterprise Process Excellence in just three months. Fast track students will have access to specialized material and individualized instructor support.
Professional Development Award: Lean Six Sigma and Sustainable Industry Enterprise requires completion of any three of the following courses: CKSS 100, CKSS 101, CKSS 210, and/or CKSS 211.
Awards and Financial Aid
Questions? Contact Dr. Saeed Nejatian, Academic Coordinator.