Building a career in marketing is an exciting journey!
The marketing industry covers a wide range of functions including both technical elements – such as market research and database mining – and the more creative aspects of product development, brand management, promotion, public relations, direct marketing, and sponsorship.
Today’s marketing jobs are more competitive than ever, demanding a level of creativity, strategic thinking, and analytical skills that keep pace with the rapid pace of this changing industry. Technology has provided new and more effective ways to identify, target, and interact with consumers. At the same time, societal trends demand that more attention be paid to corporate social responsibility, social marketing, and sustainability.
Our unique Certificate in Strategic Marketing helps you understand the latest technologies and advancements in marketing through hands-on, practical learning. Our program offers both academic rigour and customization – you choose the stream that best suits your needs. Choose our General stream to build a range of fundamental marketing skills, or focus on a particular area of interest by taking electives from our specialized streams: Marketing Innovation, Marketing Research, Social Media, and Sports Marketing.
The Certificate in Strategic Management:
- can be completed online or in class
- is eligible for OSAP
- comprises university-level degree credit courses
- offers students the opportunity to apply all or most of the courses from the certificate as transfer credits upon acceptance to the Bachelor of Commerce degree program at the Ted Rogers School of Management
What Will You Learn?
- Understand the fundamentals of marketing, including theories, principles, and concepts of market behaviour.
- Interpret and satisfy customer expectations by creating, developing, managing, and delivering products and services.
- Apply quantitative and qualitative analyses to measure the success of marketing initiatives.
- Engage state-of-the-art contemporary supply and demand marketing metrics and analytic tools, such as marketing research, share of mind, margins and profits, product, Salesforce, and channel management.
- Use the case method – integrating marketing theory and marketing metrics – as a model for critically analyzing situations and developing evidence-based, ethical decision-making skills.
- Create and evaluate integrated marketing plans that may include product/brand management, marketing research, advertising, public relations, media buying, and/or digital marketing.
Who Should Take This Certificate?
- Graduates looking to complement their degree or diploma with marketing skills
- Marketing professionals seeking career advancement by gaining expertise in a specific area and upgrading their skills in the age of analytics
- Working professionals wanting to make a career change, seeking entry into the industry by learning the fundamentals of marketing
Who Teaches the Courses?
Our instructors bring extensive education and marketing work experience into the classroom; they are either Ryerson University faculty or currently working in the industry.
Industry and Careers
Marketing is an ever-shifting field with plenty of exciting career opportunities. Our certificate is named Strategic Marketing for a good reason – you choose the courses you need to meet your career goals.
To give you a sense of the breadth of options, our career wheel demonstrates a sample of the marketing-related career areas that you may consider pursuing upon completion of the certificate. Remember, while there is plenty of diversity in how you might specialize your skill set, all marketing roles of the future will require some combination of creative ideas, engaging content development, data analysis, and flawless execution.
- 2 required courses*
- 4 electives
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
*If you demonstrate the requisite combination of education and work experience, you may apply to the academic coordinator to waive CMKT 100. If granted a waiver, you will need to complete 5 electives (instead of 4) to fulfill the certificate requirements.
Recommended Course Sequence
Suggested Elective Groupings (a total of 4 or 5 selections from 1 or more of the following groupings)
You may may choose to focus on a specific area to achieve your individual goals. The electives may be grouped as follows:
Marketing Innovation: CMKT 400, CMKT 500, CMKT 510, CMKT 723, CMKT 730, CMKT 731
Marketing Research: CMKT 400, CMKT 500, CMKT 600, CMKT 700, CMKT 702
Social Media: CITM 350, CMKT 400, CMKT 510, CMKT 700
Sports Marketing: CMKT 504, CMKT 600, CMKT 702, CMKT 828, CMKT 829
General: CGMS 522, CITM 350, CMKT 400, CMKT 500, CMKT 504, CMKT 510, CMKT 600, CMKT 700, CMKT 702, CMKT 723, CMKT 730, CMKT 731, CMKT 828, CMKT 829, CMKT 850
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- With 6 Grade 12 U or M credits
- Mature student status with relevant professional experience in business
Awards and Financial Aid
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I have to complete the certificate?
Ryerson requires that you complete the certificate within four years of your registration in the certificate program.
I have some marketing experience. Do I have to take CMKT 100?
If you have professional marketing experience, you may apply to waive CMKT 100. Contact the academic coordinator for more information. If you are approved to waive CMKT 100, you will need to take five electives in total. (Note: CMKT 300 must still be taken at the beginning of your program.)
How much time is involved per week?
As a general guideline, for in-class courses, you should allow three to five additional hours per week, per course. However, this will vary from week to week and will depend on your learning style. For online courses, plan to spend an average of six to eight hours a week working through the module content, reading, participating in discussions, and completing assignments.
“As a senior graphic designer, I understand good design. But when I moved into marketing, I needed to find my audience. Instead of attempting to learn everything on the fly, I enrolled in The Chang School’s Certificate in Strategic Marketing. It took a diligent work ethic and serious time management, but my classes gave me a wealth of information to bring to the office. Now I have the skills to research and strategically target a specific market, and a greater understanding of business. It’s a great balance: I like using both sides of my brain, and I’m pushing my career in the right direction.”
For general inquiries such as enrolment procedures, deadlines, OSAP, and course fees, please contact email@example.com.
For specific academic and curriculum inquiries related to the Certificate in Strategic Marketing, please contact Armand Gervais, Academic Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.