Want to find out more or ask a question about the Certificate in Lighting Design? Express interest to connect with this program and receive updates.
Develop a broad knowledge base and wide range of skills for the lighting industry through this multidisciplinary certificate.
Explore the relationship between light and the built environment, both electrically and naturally.
Many changes are taking place in the lighting industry due to legislative acts that limit energy budgets for new construction and retrofitting. There is an increasing need for buildings that are both environmentally responsible and ergonomically sound, with enhanced vision for health and safety.
This certificate program will prepare you to advance in this exciting and dynamic industry.
What Will You Learn?
Through your courses – including studio classes – you will understand and investigate:
- light sources and how they relate to the lighting design process
- photometric calculations to analyze design applications
- energy efficiency and management techniques
- architectural daylight approaches
- social and environmental aspects of lighting
Who Should Take This Certificate?
You may be interested in this certificate if you want to enhance your knowledge and skills in the art and science of lighting design.
In particular, this program appeals to graduates of programs in:
- architecture or landscape architecture
- interior design
- theatre design and production
Graduates of other programs such as business, fashion, and radio and television arts may also be interested.
If you do not have a degree, but have a satisfactory level of education and experience in the lighting industry, you may be eligible to take the certificate with the approval of the academic coordinator.
Who Teaches the Courses?
Our instructors come from many disciplines and address the wide range of topics that are investigated in the certificate program, including architecture, lighting design, electrical engineering, and theatre.
Industry and Careers
The Certificate in Lighting Design will provide you with opportunities to get better connected to the lighting industry through events and guest lectures.
Potential career paths include:
- lighting designer
- lighting agent/representative
- manufacturer agent
- 6 required courses
- 1 elective
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
- An undergraduate degree
- Mature student status with related professional experience and education
Why Register for the Certificate?
Completion of our Certificate in Lighting Design adds value to you! Here are some great reasons to pursue your certificate.
- Build a comprehensive base of practical, real-world knowledge and skills.
- Earn a well-respected credential that carries significant weight in this industry.
- Develop professional connections through your fellow students, expert instructors, and other industry specialists.
- Make your education a priority, complete a full program of study, and enjoy the reward of achieving a milestone goal.
Awards and Financial Aid
Our partner is the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES), Toronto Section.
The Toronto Section of the IES has been instrumental in supporting the Lighting Design program at Ryerson University and has raised significant funds for the IES Award (offered jointly with founding scholarship partners Canlyte and Osram Sylvania) for students registered in the Certificate in Lighting Design.
LIT 101: LightForm’s Tuition Reimbursement Opportunity
LightForm and The Chang School are proud to announce LIT 101 – a sponsorship project that financially supports students registered in the Certificate in Lighting Design. LIT 101 can assist you with up to 50% of your upcoming course tuition fees.
For detailed information about this sponsorship program, including eligibility requirements and application deadlines, visit LightForm’s LIT 101 website.
Questions? Contact Stephen Kaye, Academic Coordinator.