Not ready to enrol but want to learn more?
Fill out this form and a representative from The Chang School will contact you.
What does it take to help others be successful? Are people born with the ability to lead, or is it something that can be learned?
In this certificate, you will develop the ability to influence, motivate, and enable others to contribute towards the effectiveness and success of your organization. You will gain the organizational leadership and management skills that are critical to success in any job and in any sector.
Our certificate program offers a dynamic curriculum that is taught by outstanding instructors who are able to relate real-life experiences to complex topics. You will be joined by a class of like-minded individuals looking to pursue a greater understanding of leadership within organizations and apply leadership skills to their own lives.
The Certificate in Leadership in Organizations:
- offers a combination of online and in-class learning
- is eligible for OSAP
- comprises university-level degree credit courses
- offers students the opportunity to apply all or most of the courses from the certificate as transfer credits to a Bachelor of Commerce program at the Ted Rogers School of Management or at other universities (subject to admission and the requirements of the degree to which you are applying)
Note: Effective Fall 2020, the Certificate in Leadership in Organizations has been revised. Students who were formally registered in the certificate prior to July 2, 2020, must complete the curriculum requirements that were in effect at the time of their registration. For curriculum details, please refer to the archived calendar for your year of registration.
- CMHR 600 has been added as an elective
What Will You Learn?
Our commitment to blending theory and practice is reflected in each of the courses. You will learn through a rich mix of instructional methods like case studies, online simulations, critical-thinking exercises, field work, consulting projects, research studies, and training simulators.
You will understand the fundamentals of leadership in organizations and apply them to:
- developing leadership techniques
- improving leadership decision-making
- developing abilities in coaching and mentoring
- assessing interpersonal skills related to managerial roles
- learning cross-cultural dimensions of organizational behaviour
- developing key leadership skills of negotiation and conflict resolution
Who Should Take This Certificate?
This certificate will be of interest if you:
- want to develop your knowledge and skills in organizational management and leadership
- are a working human resources (HR) professional or manager with your CHRP designation
- want to gain HRPA recertification points
- work in any profession where you must achieve results by working with others
Who Teaches the Courses?
Our instructors bring extensive teaching experience and real-world expertise into the courses.
Industry and Careers
The need for capable leaders runs across organizations of all sizes and in all sectors. To address this need, a proliferation of leadership training has become readily available.
To be clear, our program is not an executive development course comprised of one-on-one coaching and 360-degree feedback. Our certificate program is about understanding and applying the fundamentals of leadership in organizations to: develop leadership techniques; improve leadership decision-making; develop abilities in coaching, mentoring, and the assessment of interpersonal skills related to managerial roles; and develop key leadership skills of bargaining and conflict resolution.
The practice of leadership – in any career – requires ongoing learning and reflection. The six university-level courses required for this certificate will provide you with a rigorous learning experience different from a short-format workshop or training session.
- 2 required courses
- 4 electives
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
Recommended Course Sequence
We recommend you begin with CMHR 405. This course is the prerequisite for most of the other courses in the certificate.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- With 6 Grade 12 U or M credits
- Mature student status with relevant professional experience
Awards and Financial Aid
“The world of work is so complex these days. Many people have leadership experience, but theory – and the research grounding it – gives you mastery. I teach leadership from the perspective of respectfully responding to each unique follower, because I’m interested in what makes people tick. The people side of leadership is the most challenging, and also the most rewarding. I always get students involved and engaged with teamwork, simulations, and role-playing. Then, if something goes wrong, rather than simply blaming themselves, they have a better understanding of the possible causes of the problem. The beauty in learning about organizational leadership theory is that the chaotic becomes less chaotic in the end.”
Certificate Designer and Professor, Human Resources Management/Organizational Behaviour
Ted Rogers School of Management
Questions? Contact Client Services.