Do you want to enter into an exciting career in the film, photography, design, communications, or cultural industries? This certificate program can provide you with the knowledge and skills to perform responsibly in these industries as a professional in creative or managerial positions. Whether your interest lies in the highly commercial, artistic, or experimental, the curriculum can provide you with the necessary grounding to move on to advanced study in a variety of media-related academic and artistic disciplines.
Many students take this certificate program before applying or re-applying to undergraduate programs at Ryerson University’s School of Image Arts.
Please note that equipment and facilities use outside of class time will not be provided. Extra time may be purchased.
What Will You Learn?
Build a general background in design, art history, and cultural studies, along with professional real-world knowledge and skills in the two areas of Film Studies and Photography Studies. There is a strong link between theory and practice in each of these options.
Start with the very basics of film, photography, and design to build your skills from the ground up.
Who Should Take This Certificate?
You may be interested if you want to:
- upgrade your current level of film, photography, and design expertise
- retrain or make a career change
- improve your job chances in film, photography, and design-related fields
- prepare for a film or photography degree program at the undergraduate level
You can enrol in individual courses to gain specific skills, or take the whole certificate program to develop a greater depth of film, photography, design, and digital production knowledge.
Who Teaches the Courses?
All of our Image Arts instructors work in related professional industries and have long histories of teaching at The Chang School.
Industry and Careers
Use this program to:
- build your professional reel or portfolio
- gain the technical and theoretical foundation to start your pursuit of an undergraduate degree
- develop professional connections through your fellow students, expert instructors, and other industry specialists
Common career choices include the following:
- Production Manager
- Sound Designer
- Photographer (fashion, commercial, fine art, portrait, photojournalism, etc.)
- Photo Editor
- Art Director
- Photo Preservation Specialist
- 4 required courses
- 4 single-term courses (or equivalent) from Specialization*
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
*This certificate offers specializations in either Film Studies or Photography Studies. You must fulfil the requirements of one of these two areas as listed.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- With 6 Grade 12 U or M credits (including English)
- With a minimum grade of 60 percent
- Mature student status with relevant professional experience
Why Register for the Certificate?
Completion of our Certificate in Image Arts adds value to you! Here are some great reasons to pursue your certificate:
- Build a comprehensive base of practical, real-world knowledge and skills.
- Earn a well-respected credential that carries significant weight in this industry.
- Develop professional connections through your fellow students, expert instructors, and other industry specialists.
- Make your education a priority, complete a full program of study, and enjoy the reward of achieving a milestone goal.
Awards and Financial Aid
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between the Certificate in Image Arts and the Certificate in Film Studies or Photography Studies?
The Certificate in Image Arts will prepare you to apply to either the undergraduate Film Studies – Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) or Photography – Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) second-year program at Ryerson University (subject to space/application review).
The Certificate in Film Studies and the Certificate in Photography Studies are standalone programs and are made up of different required courses and elective choices. Both certificates provide a more thorough understanding of theory and practice within their individual subject areas.
How long does it take to complete the certificate?
Most students take one to two years to complete the certificate (two years is realistic based on current scheduling and course availability). Ryerson requires that you complete the certificate within six years.
Can I apply the credits earned in this certificate to another Ryerson credential such as a degree?
Courses in the Certificate in Image Arts are both degree- and certificate-credit. This means that if you don’t yet have your degree, most of the credit received through the certificate may be transferred to the BFA program (Film or Photography) at Ryerson, subject to standard admission criteria and procedures.
How much time is involved per week?
As a general guideline, you should allow three additional hours per week, per course, outside of classroom hours. This will vary from week to week and will depend on your learning style, readings, and assignments.
Questions? Contact your Academic Coordinator.
Film Studies Academic Coordinator: James Warrack
Phone: 416-979-5000, ext. 2237
Photography Studies Academic Coordinator: Dennis Miles
Image Arts Academic Coordinator: James McCrorie