As globalization impacts traditional business models, it is not uncommon for managers to engage with stakeholders working in different countries, currencies, time zones, languages, and cultures. In this context, employers across sectors are in a global war for talent, competing for professionals who have the managerial skills and cultural understanding to work effectively in today’s global business environment.
In this certificate program, you will learn the basic business functions, operations, and processes of management in an international context. You will apply theory in real world case studies, simulations, and projects to demonstrate your understanding of how business is conducted in key geographic regions, taking into account the major cultural, political, and economic factors that shape approaches to business management internationally.
- offers both online and in-class learning
- is eligible for OSAP
- is comprised of degree credit courses
- includes all prerequisites for the Certificate in Advanced International Trade Management
- offers students the opportunity to apply all, or most, of the credit earned through the certificate as transfer credits to a Bachelor of Commerce program at Ryerson or at other universities (subject to admission and the requirements of the degree to which you are applying)
What Will You Learn?
- Practice agile thinking and strategic decision-making to compete effectively in a changing global business environment
- Define and understand the basic functions of management
- Describe the production and operations management process in the transformation of goods and services from inputs to outputs
- Apply statistical techniques in support of managerial decisions in various business functions
- Appreciate the business-related complexities of interacting with people from diverse cultural contexts
Who Should Take This Certificate?
- You have a degree in a related non-business field, such as political science or languages, and you want to enhance your employability at multinational organizations
- You want to move into an international business environment
- You work in a government agency related to trade, or an international non-profit organization, and would benefit from foundational knowledge in international management
- You want a pathway to more advanced skill development, such as the Certificate in Advanced International Trade Management
- You want to explore business courses that have an international focus without committing to a four-year degree program
Who Teaches the Courses?
Learn from instructors with extensive education and international business expertise.
Industry and Careers
Did you know?
1 in 4 Canadian businesses considering international expansion don’t know where to start.
Yet, 90% of Canadian companies that have expanded internationally claim they were successful.
In the new global business environment, employers need people who understand how the global economy, political events, cultural norms and social institutions can impact a business and the industry within which it operates.
Stand out from the crowd.
The Certificate in Foundations of International Management develops these core competencies valued by employers while also providing a pathway to more advanced skill development. This program enhances your ability to assess, and then effectively manage, the international complexities that affect a number of job roles, including: project managers, business analysts, management consultants, information officers, and non-profit managers. This program can also benefit those working in accounting or human resources roles within global enterprises.
Recommended Course Sequence
- 4 required courses
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- With six Grade 12 U or M credits
- Mature student status
Awards and Financial Aid
Questions? Contact Mike Manjuris, Academic Coordinator.