Help to defend and monitor ethical decision-making in your organization. Develop a knowledge and practice in applied ethics to develop personal and organizational codes of ethics. Learn to recognize, counsel, and train in analyzing and resolving ethical dilemmas.
The Certificate in Ethics is designed to provide you with relevant, university-level education if your career requires the ability to apply the principles of ethics in private and public sector organizations.
You may also be interested if you simply want to deepen your philosophical and ethical understanding.
Many of the courses in this certificate program are available in a fully online format.
What Will You Learn?
Ethics is a broad area of philosophical enquiry. It prides itself in its practical application to daily life, both professional and private.
Completing the Certificate in Ethics will teach you how to:
- critically analyze approaches to ethics
- understand the theoretical underpinnings of ethics
- develop writing skills for clear presentation and defence of ethical policies and procedures
- communicate in an effective and persuasive manner
Who Should Take This Certificate?
- University graduates who wish to distinguish themselves in their chosen field
- Professionals looking to play a more significant role in their organizations
- Continuing education students who want to focus their research interests in ethics
- People for whom ethics is an important area of knowledge and practice
Who Teaches the Courses?
Industry and Careers
Career outcomes may include:
- qualification for participation in policy development
- participation in employment equity and parity discussions at the management level
- greater insight into the ethical foundations of practice
The Certificate in Ethics has specific streams in environment, medical fields, legal, human rights, business ethics, and philosophical ethics. These streams allow you to focus on your specific area of interest.
Course Delivery Schedule
Note: Not all courses are delivered every term. You should work out a plan as to when you can complete the courses you will use towards the certificate.
Check individual course descriptions for scheduling details.
- 1 required course
- 5 electives*
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
*You must take 2 selections from Electives – Group A and 3 selections from Electives – Group B (that you haven't already taken in Electives – Group A).
Recommended Course Sequence
We recommend you take courses in the following order:
- Electives – Group A (2 selections)
- Electives – Group B (3 selections)
- COPH 200 - Ethics Capstone Course
Suggested Elective Groupings
You may choose electives from a variety of areas in ethics, or you may choose to focus on a specific area to achieve your individual goals. The electives may be grouped as follows:
Electives – Group A (2 selections)
Business and Organizations: CPHL 307, CPHL 444
Environment: CPHL 500, CPHL 525
Ethical Theory: CPHL 503, CPHL 603
Health: CPHL 302, CPHL 444, CPHL 509
Human Rights and Administrative Justice: CPHL 400, CPHL 614
Law and Jurisprudence: CPHL 449, CPHL 612
Media and Culture: CPHL 530
Electives – Group B (3 selections)
Business and Organizations: CGMS 802, CINT 905, CLAW 122, CLAW 525, CLAW 529, CLAW 603, CMHR 600, CMHR 640, CODG 130, CPHL 307, CPHL 444
Environment: CECN 502, CECN 510, CPHL 500, CPHL 525, CPSY 518
Ethical Theory: CPHL 503, CPHL 603
Health: CPHL 302, CPHL 444, CPHL 509, CPHL 602, CPSY 124, CPSY 706, CPSY 802, CPSY 808
Human Rights and Administrative Justice: CINT 905, CPHL 400, CPHL 507, CPHL 614, CPOG 424, CPPA 125, CPPA 301, CSOC 609, CSOC 705
Law and Jurisprudence: CCRM 200, CCRM 322, CECN 321, CLAW 122, CLAW 525, CLAW 529, CLAW 603, CODG 130, CPHL 612, CPHL 921, CPPA 301, CPSY 300, CSOC 705
Media and Culture: CENG 413, CENG 520, CENG 621, CENG 720, CHST 602, CPHL 401, CPHL 530, CPHL 621
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- With six Grade 12 U or M credits
- Mature student status
Awards and Financial Aid
Questions? Contact Thomas Hart, Academic Coordinator.
Phone: 416-979-5000, ext. 6162