Want to find out more or ask a question about the Certificate in Design Management? Express interest to connect with this program and receive updates.
In today’s dynamic economy, the skills of designers are particularly valuable. Design management has become recognized all over the world as a core competency for companies in a variety of industry sectors.
This multi-disciplinary certificate program explores how to manage design effectively to achieve economic, social, and environmental advantage in the modern business environment. It will also teach you to manage the creative skills of designers to achieve specific strategic goals. Management in design firms is also addressed.
What Will You Learn?
This is a multi-disciplinary certificate program that will teach you:
- creative problem-solving skills
- collaboration and communication skills
- how to lead and manage design teams
- how to work with design strategies and design processes
Gain an understanding and appreciation of the use of an integrated design process in a business context.
The program provides a management perspective on design and related disciplines, including:
- landscape architecture
- interior, industrial, and graphic design
The Certificate in Design Management is unique in Ontario. It will allow you to complete core courses in design management while enrolling in business courses such as marketing and organizational behaviour, and explore these business courses through the lens of design management.
You can take advantage of the broad base of programs within The Chang School while studying for this certificate in a career-oriented specialty.
Who Should Take This Certificate?
This certificate will add value to your career if you are a design practitioner from any discipline, or if you:
- work in the design industry and want to improve your qualifications
- are new to the design industry and want to better understand all aspects of working with designers and leading design teams
- work in related fields and want to make a career change
Who Teaches the Courses?
Our instructors are experienced designers, researchers, and teachers with many years of industry experience.
Industry and Careers
The management of design is considered strategically important in a growing number of organizations.
The design industry generates billions of dollars in many sectors of the Canadian economy, including:
- consulting services
This certificate program will equip you with the knowledge and skills to enter into a role as design manager or progress in your current career.
- 3 required courses
- 5 electives
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
Recommended Course Sequence
We recommend you take courses in the following order:
- CDDM 101 - Introduction to Design Management
- CDDM 102 - Design Management II
- Electives (5 selections)
- CDDM 103 - Design Management Project
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
- With 6 Grade 12 U or M credits
- Mature student status
Note: Work experience and/or post-secondary education related to design or business is desirable.
Awards and Financial Aid
Fast-track your Certificate in Design Management through an intensive 16-week, on-campus program.
The Design Management Intensive covers the three core courses and three of the five electives required to earn the eight-course certificate.
Questions? Contact Arlene Gould, Academic Coordinator.