Not ready to enrol but want to learn more?
Fill out this form and a representative from The Chang School will contact you.Express interest
This advanced certificate builds on the Certificate in Applied Digital Geography and GIS to provide greater conceptual understanding and technical expertise in an increasingly complex industry.
Upgrade your knowledge and skills through highly technical specialty courses in:
- spatial database management systems
- advanced programming
- spatial statistics
- GIS web services
Project-based courses consolidate the in-depth conceptual knowledge and complex skills learned in your previous courses.
Take advantage of the state-of-the-art GIS facilities offered by Ryerson University’s Department of Geography and Environmental Studies – a leader in GIS education in Canada.
What Will You Learn?
This program builds on the Certificate in Applied Digital Geography and GIS to provide greater conceptual understanding and technical expertise in this increasingly complex industry.
Learn how to:
- manage data
- model geographic space for user needs
- utilize query languages specific to spatial data
- integrate data in different formats
- use current object-relational database models
- use Esri's ArcSDE (Spatial Database Engine)
- use data warehousing for spatial decision-making
- manage a GIS project from inception to implementation
- programming for solving spatial problems
- mainstream commercial products
- open source spatial and non-spatial toolsets
- Python libraries
- clustering, spatial autocorrelation, and autoregression
- interpolation using a variety of techniques, including Kriging
- data mining
- modelling of spatial data
- web mapping and analysis
- web server administration
Who Should Take This Certificate?
This advanced certificate builds on the Certificate in Applied Digital Geography and GIS to provide greater conceptual understanding and technical expertise in this increasingly complex industry.
It is designed for working professionals currently working or anticipating careers in:
- municipal services
Who Teaches the Courses?
Our courses are taught by industry and academic leaders in an integrated lecture-lab environment. You will learn from experts who combine practical and theoretical knowledge of emerging trends in digital geography and GIS.
Industry and Careers
Many students enrolled in this program are already working in digital geography and GIS or seeking entry into the industry.
Typical Job Titles
- GIS Analyst
- GIS Specialist
- GIS Technician
- Location Analyst
- Research Analyst
- Spatial Database Technician
- Crime Analyst
- Decision Support Specialist/Analyst
The GIS field has experienced substantial growth over the past two decades. GIS are used in government, industry, utilities, planning, municipal services, health, and retailing. GIS are often used as a decision support system to offer spatial analysis or to aid in risk management within location planning.
- 6 required courses
- 1 elective*
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.67+
*The elective category only applies if you select 1 course from the Required Courses – Second Level category. If you choose both courses, you do not need to complete this category.
- Certificate in Applied Digital Geography and GIS or equivalent
Admission Interview/Placement Assessment
You must also complete an interview with the academic coordinator to facilitate assessment of prior learning. Official documentation of English proficiency may be required if English is not your first language.
Awards and Financial Aid
Questions? Contact Raymond Garrison, Academic Coordinator.
Phone: 416-979-5000, ext. 7149