Sidebar Menu

Veterans Transition to Education (VTE)

Canadian flag patch on a military uniform

Are you a veteran or active member of the Armed Forces and looking to expand your education?

Whether you need academic upgrading to support your military career or for a new career, we provide academic and non-academic services specifically designed for you.

We are committed to providing academic and non-academic services and referrals for Reg-force, Reserve, and Veteran Armed Forces members through our Veterans Transition to Education (VTE) program.

We recognize the invaluable service and unique culture associated with military personnel, and the many challenges faced by past and present soldiers in navigating civilian institutions. We understand the importance of education in building careers in both the military and civilian life, and this shapes our goal to provide accessibility and flexibility in post-secondary education. We are a community-focused institution that prides itself on inclusionary access to education. Situated near Moss Park Armoury, The Chang School would like to help guide you through your educational options.

About the Program

The VTE program provides academic and non-academic peer assistance to the veteran community and currently serving soldiers.

We provide access to all applicable support programs within Ryerson University and will work with you to help you achieve your goals.

Flexibility in Education

  • Part-time courses
  • Distance education (via online classes)
  • Full-time enrolment

Funding Assistance

  • Veterans Affairs Canada
  • The Royal Canadian Legion bursary programs
  • Ryerson University scholarships and bursaries
  • The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education bursaries
  • SISIP Financial Services (Military Social Income Security Insurance Plan)

Academic Upgrades

  • We have several avenues to recognize previous experience including the possibility of waiving prerequisites for advanced certificates or waiving introductory courses in certificate programs. Transfer crediting and challenge credits are also available for select courses.
  • Our transitional year program called Transition Foundations Program allows mature learners, upon completion, to be eligible to apply to undergraduate programs at Ryerson University. Even without a high school diploma, this program can prepare and propel you into a university education without the need of a General Education Development (GED) or previous certificate.

Certificate to Degree

The Chang School is dedicated to providing alternative pathways to education for those individuals who do not have the traditional prerequisites for post-secondary education. We offer certificates that may ladder into degrees.

Non-Academic Issues

We understand that all aspects of your life must be healthy and supported to give you the best chances of success. We can provide you with assistance and referrals relating to mental and physical health, housing, addictions, and the navigation of civilian environments, through our Soldier to Civvy meetings. Here, you will learn to disarm the “absolutes” associated with military thinking and adopt coping strategies aimed at making your transition a positive and exciting pathway. Additionally, VTE can work with you in accessing supports through Veterans Affairs Canada, to ensure that nothing will stand between you and your education.


Canadian Armed Forces veteran, Chris Munro, 1PPCLI, 2 CDO, is a registered social worker who has done research through Ryerson University on the psychological stressors associated with post-military transitions to civilian life. His experiences with both the military and his own transition provide him with insight into the challenges faced by soldiers and former soldiers, as they navigate their educational options in a civilian environment.

Standard Operating Procedures

  • Initial contact will be with the veteran transition advisor (VTA), who will discuss your academic needs. Any non-academic supports will be discussed and referred at this time.
  • Prospective students will then have their previous academic qualifications assessed by the VTA to assist with the development of an academic plan that is tailored to meet the specific needs of the prospective student.
  • Your VTA will support you during all phases of your entrance and study period in academic upgrades, undergraduate and graduate programs, or certificates.


“I found the Transition Foundations Program to be a great program. The staff have helped guide me through the university system. The program has been a beneficial change going from a regimented organization to transferring into the civilian world. The classes provided sufficient challenges, however, there are many academic and social resources to support my learning at a post-secondary level.”
–Sgt (Ret’d) David Hensman CD

Get Started Today!

Come and speak with us and we will help you get started.

Contact us through or 416-979-5000, ext. 4098.