Secondary Menu


Here you will find answers to questions related to Continuing Education Contract Lecturers (CECLs).

If you have a question that is not covered in this FAQ. please contact

Course Shells

How do I request a D2L course shell?
In order to request a D2L course shell, you must be logged in to Then, refer to this step-by-step guide for requesting a course shell.

How do I add a “tied section” to D2L?
Confirm in RAMSS that you can see the tied section in your Faculty Centre for both sections. If you cannot see it, email to request that your name be loaded into RAMSS next to the tied section. Once you can see the tied section in RAMSS, request the tied section to be added to the D2L shell. For more information on how to add a shell, please visit Manage Student Sections.

Why can’t I request a course shell yet?
There is a waiting period from the date you accept the job offer to being listed in RAMSS as the Continuing Education Contract Lecturer. Please ensure you have accepted your offer and activated your Ryerson Online Identity at For further assistance, contact

Do I need to provide a course outline?
Ryerson’s Course Management Policy (Policy 166) specifies that students must be provided with a course outline, either electronically on the university’s learning management system (D2L Brightspace) or in hard copy, by or at the first meeting of every course. The information in the outline should be discussed during the first class, and may be supplemented by more detailed information that is provided later in the course.

A copy of your course outline must also be sent to at the beginning of each term.

Where do I get a template for a course outline?
Please email to obtain a course outline template.


What are my responsibilities if a student needs special accommodation?
Ryerson University’s Senate Policy 159: Academic Accommodation of Students with Disabilities establishes guidelines and procedures for providing academic accommodation for students. Faculty, instructors, and staff may also wish to review the principles of Universal Design for Learning for ways to maintain classroom inclusivity and accessibility. For further information, please visit Academic Accommodation Process.

Where will my final exam be held?
Currently, all tests and examinations for Chang School courses are held online.

Can I get an exam invigilator?
Yes, if your class is over 50 students. Please email your exam details to to request invigilation assistance. Note: There are no exam invigilators available at this time. 

What if a student cannot attend an exam and needs to reschedule?
Your students are expected to complete all assignments, tests, and exams within the time frames and by the dates indicated in your course outline. However, Ryerson University policies allow a student who misses a mid-term or final exam for one of the following reasons only – religious observance, medical illness, or compassionate grounds – to formally request an alternate arrangement to write a makeup exam. The student’s request must be in writing and must be accompanied by the appropriate documentation. You should direct your students to the University’s Senate Policy 134: Undergraduate Academic Consideration and Appeals and Policy 150: Accommodation of Student Religious, Aboriginal and Spiritual Observance. You can find more information on the Missed Mid-Term and Final Exam Procedure page.

Where should students submit their documents if they are missing an exam?
All students must submit their requests for academic consideration for health reasons to the Ryerson online portal. A link to the online request form and instructions for submission are available here. Documentation will not be accepted by email, fax nor in person.


When are final grades due?
Please refer to Grading Deadlines.

What if I missed the deadline to submit grades?
Final grades must be submitted by the Registrar’s deadline. Please contact your program director to advise them of the reason for the delay and the anticipated date the grades will be submitted. The Grade Roster will remain open for you to enter the final grades when they have been finalized.

How do I change a grade?
If you have already changed the Approval Status of your Grade Roster to Approved, or if you are revising a grade after the final deadline, you will need to submit your grade changes using the online grade revision process. Visit Automated Grade Revision Process for detailed instructions. Please also review Automated Grade Revision Process - Frequently Asked Questions.

If your Grade Roster Approval Status is still showing Not Reviewed then you can still change the grade directly in the Grade Roster.

How do I input grades?
You must use your active Ryerson Online Identity and password to enter the final letter grades into RAMSS. You will access RAMSS and your grade roster through Detailed instructions on how to enter grades are found here.

How do I migrate final grades from D2L to RAMSS?
Post final exam marks in the Grade Centre in D2L. Before converting your marks to letter grades and submitting them to RAMSS, please confirm that you have made the appropriate changes to your D2L grades so that the marks (weightings, percentages, etc.) in your course are accurately calculated. You can set up your D2L course shell so that RAMSS can "fetch" the final grades and allow you to approve them. For detailed instructions, see D2L Fetch from RAMSS for Final Calculated Grades.

Where can I find other relevant forms?
Please visit Forms for Faculty and Administrators.


How can I add my teaching dossier to my application?
The Ryerson hiring system only allows for one file (resumé/dossier) to be uploaded. Please combine all necessary documents for your dossier (e.g. CV, teaching philosophy statement, teaching history, surveys, letters, etc.) into a single Word or PDF file (5MB maximum), and upload this document when prompted for a resumé during your application process. For clarity, please be sure to include your last name and term in the file name of your dossier (e.g., smith-f2019 or smith-ceng-f2019).

Explore a tutorial.

External applicants may download the User Guide.

Who do I contact if I can’t log in into my applicant account?
If you cannot log into your account, please contact Human Resources.

If you cannot log into your my.ryerson account, please contact CCS.

If you recently were able to log in to your my.ryerson account and accepted your job offer, please inform CCS that you have just accepted an offer for the upcoming term.

When will I hear if I have received a teaching contract?
Contract offers for posted courses will be issued by deadlines set by the collective agreement for CUPE 3904 Continuing Education Contract Lecturers.


When is New CECL Orientation night?
If you are a new CECL, you should have received an email notification. Please visit Professional Development for CECLs for information and scheduling.

How do I obtain my OneCard?
If you are a new CECL, you must have accepted your job offer in order to request a OneCard. Please visit the OneCard website to complete and print the request form. A Ryerson OneCard is required before the start of classes if you wish to use the Ryerson Library, borrow audiovisual equipment from Media Services, and access Presentation Technology in the classroom.

NOTE: You only need to obtain your OneCard once. Keep it safe between teaching assignments; it will be re-activated automatically whenever you are re-hired to teach at The Chang School.

What is two-factor authentication, and why is it required?
Two-factor authentication provides a second level of security for your Ryerson account. In addition to your password, a time-limited code is required to log in. Codes are generated by devices you have with you. The device can be a mobile phone, a universal second factor (U2F) security key or a one-time verification (OTV) code generator.

For more information, please visit Computing and Communications Services (CCS).

Where is my classroom?
Your classroom information can be found in your RAMSS Faculty Centre. You can also use our online Classroom Lookup. Classroom locations will be finalized the week before classes start. Note: There is no classroom instruction at this time during campus closure. 

Can I change my classroom?
Classrooms are assigned based on a variety of criteria that includes class enrolment, special requirements, etc. Classroom space is limited across campus. In most cases, it is not possible to change the location of your classroom. However, if you feel that relocation is essential, contact the Logistics Coordinator at 416-979-5000, ext. 556673, and your request will be considered. Note: There is no classroom instruction at this time during campus closure. 

What are the copyright regulations at Ryerson?

The Ryerson Library provides helpful support to ensure that copyright regulations are followed. Their Do-It-Yourself Copyright Checking page is a great resource that contains tips on how to use copyrighted material legally.

How do I get photocopies printed?
For print jobs of more than 250 sheets, CECLs are required to use Duplicating and Printing Services.

  • Authorization forms can be picked up from the front desk of Heaslip House (297 Victoria Street), located on the main floor.
  • Complete all parts of the form, including the number of copies needed, special details, and the date required, so that your order can be processed quickly and accurately.
  • Whenever possible, material should be photocopied double-sided.
  • While photocopying services may be available while you wait, most orders should be completed within 24 hours.
  • Duplicating and Printing Services can print out documents submitted on CD or memory stick, but the file must be ‘print ready’ and in PDF format. The equipment does not accept any other file format.
  • Please note that any photocopies made outside of Ryerson will not be reimbursed.

Before class, CECLs are permitted to use the Heaslip House staff photocopier on the second floor for last-minute, low-volume photocopying (maximum 250 sheets).

Can I get reimbursed for photocopies/supplies (e.g., whiteboard markers, etc.)?
No. The Chang School provides whiteboard markers and chalk for CECLs, which can be picked up from the 2nd floor of Heaslip House. Note: There is no access to the CED building during at this time during campus closure. 

How do I upload course readings in my D2L shell?
The Ryerson Library provides a One-Stop Course Reading Service to help you post course readings in your D2L shell. The Library will also check copyright permissions for you before posting the readings. Email your reading requests to

How do I cancel a class?
In the event of an emergency where you are unable to teach one of your classes and it must be cancelled, you must complete the following steps:

  • Contact The Chang School immediately at 416-979-5035.
  • Post an announcement for your students in your D2L course shell.
  • Communicate your arrangements to make up the missed class to your students and to the Logistics Coordinator by calling 416-979-5000, ext. 556673 or email

Why is my Ryerson email terminated?
CECL email access is suspended 280 days after the end of your last contract. However, you will still be able to login to and access the eHR portal.

How do I add my profile to the CECL Profile Directory?
If you are a current CECL teaching in the current academic year, please log in using your Ryerson username and password. Complete the appropriate fields. If you have any questions, please contact

Remote Teaching

Can I come to campus to use the printer/computers?
No. The Chang School is following provincial guidelines and university protocols. At this time, there is no access to Heaslip House until further notice.

It's my first time teaching online. What resources are available to help?
The Chang School provides administrative and technical support for online teaching as well as we offer Teaching Adult Learners Online (TALO), a professional development course for new online instructors.
In addition, The Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching have curated resources and offer workshops for remote teaching. 

Can I ask students to turn on their cameras while I'm teaching online?
Respect your student's privacy. While it may be uncomfortable to speak to a wall of names instead of faces, be aware that for some of your students turning on their video camera may compromise their privacy and security by revealing visual information they do not want to share. Specific circumstances for individual students regarding privacy and security may arise.

The best practice is to keep the lines of communication open with your students and let them know you are there to help ensure the sessions are safe for all involved. Students will want to know in advance if you are recording, if there will be breakout groups and if they are encouraged to use their webcam. They can then let you know if they have any concerns before the session starts.

Are all Spring/Summer 2021 courses taught online? Some are marked as "distance" and others aren't.
Yes, all Spring/Summer 2021 courses are delivered in an online format (synchronous or asynchronous).

Some online courses have a one hour time slot per week. What is that for?
This is the weekly time slot when you will meet "live" online with students.

Will I know which courses are offered on which days and times before I apply to teach?
Yes, you can access the scheduling information during the posting period on the Teaching at The Chang School web page.

For the online course postings, do instructors have to live in Toronto?
You do not need to live in Toronto to teach an online course. However, you must be eligible to work in Canada.

Security and Emergency Services

Where do I find information related to security and emergency services?
Please refer to Community Safety and Security for emergency awareness, preparedness, and response procedures; assistance with non-emergencies; personal safety information; and more.

Student Support Resources

Where can I direct students who have general questions about The Chang School?
Client Services provides front-line information, advice, and support to all students taking Continuing Education courses.  They are the first point of contact for general inquiries, course and certificate information, course schedules, course fees, and more.  While in-person services are currently unavailable, students may contact the Client Services team by phone or email: (416) 979-5035 or  

For other services and support available for Chang School students, visit the Services and Support page.

How can my students contact the Academic Accommodation Support office? 
Please visit the Academic Accommodation Support contact page

How can I learn more about my role in accommodating students in my course?
The Academic Accommodation Support team created the Academic Accommodation Support Teaching Handbook for your reference. In addition, please review Ryerson Senate Policy 159: Academic Accommodation of Students with Disabilities.

How can students request accommodation for an online exam?
Please review the recording of Online Tests & Exams: Accommodated & Make-Up Tests hosted by the Centre in Excellence in Learning and Teaching for more information. 

How can I help a student who is facing distress during their academic studies?
Listen to the student’s concerns and if applicable (and with the student’s consent), please refer them to the Student Care office who are there to provide support to students.