Professional Development for CECLs
The Chang School is committed to supporting our current continuing education contract lecturers (CECLs) in the development and enhancement of their teaching skills, particularly as they relate to the adult learner and to online learning. Under the leadership of our Teaching Chair, the Chang School Teaching and Learning Committee works collaboratively with Ryerson’s Learning and Teaching Office (LTO) to offer workshops and events on topics related to best practices in teaching and learning.
Reminders about professional development opportunities will be sent via email to CECLs throughout each term.
EVENTS FOR 2019–2020
(This page will be updated regularly throughout each term.)
TALO – Teaching Adult Learners Online
Online learning is becoming increasingly popular among students and CECLs here at The Chang School. As part of our commitment to offering high-quality courses and programs, we continuously strive to ensure that our CECLs have the information and support needed to create an environment that maximizes the student learning experience.
The Chang School offers Teaching Adult Learners Online – a professional development course for our faculty and CECLs that is anchored in research and expertise gained through over 15 years of experience designing and providing digital education at Ryerson University. TALO provides participants with the opportunity to advance their skills in online pedagogy, technology, and effective course management. TALO’s highly interactive, media-rich online modules are designed to create opportunities for faculty and CECLs to immerse themselves in learning experiences as both student and instructor, and to experiment with tools and learning strategies while being supported by seasoned online facilitators, technical staff, and peers.
Upon successful completion of the required work, participants will receive a Recognition of Completion Award from The Chang School.
Spring 2020: Friday, May 1 to Saturday, June 6, 2020
Fall 2020: Friday, September 4 to Saturday, October 10, 2020
Duration: Five (5) weeks
There are five interactive, media-rich online modules:
- Module 1: Online Teaching and Learning Experience
- Module 2: Online Teaching and Learning Principles
- Module 3: Challenges and Opportunities in Online Assessment
- Module 4: Online Course Design and Development
- Module 5: Open Education Resources and Open Pedagogy in Online Learning
- “The instructors have always been outstanding, and the content is always very interesting. There is also usually a great use of different learning tools such as readings, videos, audio, etc.”
- “This course not only satisfied my expectations for an instructional course with respect to online learning, it thoroughly exceeded these expectations in every way. I would not only recommend the TALO program to instructors or contract lecturers who are new to online learning, but I would also recommend the program to individuals who may have experience teaching online but would like the opportunity to refresh their knowledge, or take advantage of its extensive resources in order to expand their skill set in this particular area.”
- “Upon completion of TALO, I gained two perspectives, one as the instructor and one as the student. As an instructor, I was able to observe varied instructional practices of the TALO facilitator. As a participant, I took on the role of a student, thus gaining insight into a student’s online experience. I strongly recommend TALO for new and seasoned online instructors to further enhance their online instructional skills.”
- “Even though I taught for close to ten years and have facilitated countless online courses I was surprised how much I gained from the course. I found the four week-long modules to be very well-designed and thorough. The lecture material that was facilitated by experienced instructors provided a very good mix of theory and hands on practice. Each module contained several activities that not only tested your knowledge of the material but challenged you in a fun and interactive manner. The TALO course would provide a great set of teaching skills and knowledge to beginners, as well as experienced instructors, regardless of how many years of experience someone has teaching online.”
Do you have a professional development topic that you would like us to feature? Email us at email@example.com.