Missed Mid-Term and Final Exam Procedure
All students of The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education are expected to complete their assignments, tests, and exams within the time frames and by the dates indicated in your course outline. However, Ryerson University policies allow a student who misses a mid-term or final exam for one of the following reasons only – religious observance, health reasons, or compassionate grounds (generally, normal employment commitments and vacations will not constitute grounds for academic consideration) – to request an alternate arrangement to write a makeup exam.
Change to Policy Regarding the Location For the Submission of Health Documentation
Undergraduate program students (UGRD) are now required to submit a Ryerson Student Health Certificate to their respective program departments. The program departments are then required to email the appropriate CECL(s) to inform them that the documentation has been received. Chang School students not enrolled in undergraduate programs (CNED) must submit their Ryerson Student Health Certificate to the Chang School staff at the front desk at 297 Victoria Street. CECLs will be notified of the receipt of the documentation submitted at The Chang School via firstname.lastname@example.org. Students must still notify CECLs via email within three days of the missed test/exam that they did not write the test/exam.
Approval for a student to write a makeup exam (as opposed to re-weighting the marks) is at your discretion, providing your decision is in compliance with Ryerson policy; that is:
- The student has made the request in writing and in a timely manner.
- The student has submitted the required originally-signed documentation as per Senate policy 134.
- The makeup term test should be written before the final exam.
- The makeup exam does not have to be in the same format as the original in-class exam.
All communications with the student must be via Ryerson email.
Students have the following responsibilities in requesting consideration for a makeup exam:
- NOTIFY you via email as soon as reasonably possible, either before or within 3 days of the scheduled exam, to request an opportunity to write a makeup exam.
- SUBMIT an originally-signed, appropriate written document regarding the reason they are not able to write the exam on the originally scheduled exam date (i.e., your student should be directed to Student Declaration of Religious Observance Accommodation (PDF) at the beginning of the course; for health reasons, your student should complete the Ryerson Student Medical Certificate form (PDF). Without this documentation, the student should not be granted an accommodation to write a makeup exam and should be assigned a zero grade.
- WRITE their makeup exam only on the exam date assigned by you.
As the CECL, you are responsible for making appropriate arrangements for a student to write a makeup exam as soon as possible after they have notified you and provided you have received confirmation regarding their documentation. CECLs are invited to use our pre-scheduled makeup exam schedule below, where invigilation services will be provided by The Chang School.
If you choose to administer makeup exams yourself:
- VALIDATE (approve or refuse) the student’s request via email, including your makeup exam details.
- RETAIN any communications with the student for your course records.
- ADMINISTER your makeup exam, having requested an appropriate classroom from email@example.com.
OR use the Ryerson Student Learning support Test Centre to book a makeup exam date through their online system.
If you choose to use our pre-scheduled makeup exam schedule:
- VALIDATE (approve or refuse) the student’s request via email, including your makeup exam details, and COPY firstname.lastname@example.org on the email.
- EMAIL email@example.com immediately, as space may be limited, with the following information for each student you have approved for a makeup exam:
- The student’s name
- The student’s email address
- The student’s Ryerson student number
- The course and section number
- The duration of the makeup exam
- A list of any and all the aids/resources permitted the student during the writing of the makeup exam
- EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org an electronic copy of the makeup exam no later than five business days in advance of the exam date.
- You will receive an email with instructions for picking up completed makeup exams after the exam date.
Spring 2019 Makeup Exam Dates
Exam date: Friday, August 9, 2019, 6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m., VIC Building*
CECL deadline: Thursday, August 1, 2019
Exam date: Saturday, September 28, 2019, 9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m., VIC Building*
CECL deadline: Friday, September 20, 2019
*Classroom locations in VIC Building (285 Victoria St.) will be posted at the entrance of the building on the morning of the exam.
Please advise your students that they must write their exam only on the date you approved. Upon entering the exam room, they must produce photo ID and sign the exam roster. Late arrivals will not be permitted to write the exam.
Please note that given classroom and staff limitations, the number of examinees will be limited to 150. Therefore, contact email@example.com as soon as possible with your requests. You will receive a response within two business days.